Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Rainy Day Fort


One of the best memories I have from when I was a kid was on the days that it rained.  My mom LOVED (still does) rainy days, most especially good thunderstorm/lightning days. The louder the thunderclaps and the brighter the lightning, the better.  I can remember Mom having us all run to the door to look out at the sheets of rain falling and then slightly opening the storm door so we could smell the rain.  All those rainy days and Mom always saying how much she "loves a rainy day" have also made me like rainy days.  Of course, I'd rather have sunny ones, but every now and then, a good thunderstormy day is just perfect.  It always makes me think of my mom.  Another reason I think I love rainy days is that Mom made them fun for us children.  I guess when there are 4 kiddos cooped up in the house, you have to find something to do with them.  Mom would always have us build a fort in the living room - using the couches, chairs, sheets, blankets, etc.  We'd spend (what seemed like) hours in there - just playing.  The kind of couch we had when I was little made it so we could turn the couch on its side and make our fort under there.  Such good memories!

This week, we had a rainy day... not quite the thunderstormy kind of day I would have liked, but rainy and cloudy all day.  I've been waiting to have a child of my own who I could pass this love of rainy days and building forts on to.  Finally! the days has come!  I think Caroline liked her little fort very much.  We even had a picnic lunch inside there too.  Maybe we'll get a really good thunderstormy day sometime soon and we can do it again.  Thanks, Mom, for the encouragement to make fun times even in stormy weather.

No comments: