Some days, I just look at Caroline and can't believe how BIG she is! Yesterday was one of those days. Don't know if it was the big girl outfit or the two "ponies" or the attitude she seemed to get upon getting those two ponies... but she definitely seemed like a big girl and not any bit of a baby. Yes, yes, I'm glad she isn't in a perpetual state of babyhood. It's kind of nice sometimes that she can actually do things I ask her to do (like go get your shoes and put them on...) but in the same breath, I sometimes miss her dependence on me. ("Mommy, I can do it!") Guess it's just part of letting your children grow and learning how to let go. At least it's a slow process that takes place over many, many days/months/years!
Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones kicking in when I get to thinking about these kind of things. I've been thinking about the new baby a lot lately (especially since we find out tomorrow if it's a boy or girl and I have just started to feel the new baby moving, barely!). It's hard to remember how little babies are when they are first born and how VERY dependent they are. I'm looking forward to it again. I'm sure it will be different having two, the new baby will probably not get as much attention as Caroline did and probably not be held as much as Caroline was, but that's ok, the new baby will have the extra love of a big sister. I'm really excited to see how life will be with two little ones (and hopefully more someday too). Caroline will be such a big helper, I know. So ultimately, I'm glad she's such a big girl!
4 comments:
PS - Michelle - if you read this - as soon I Caroline looked at her "ponies" in the mirror, she said, "just like Jovie!" and was so very pleased. Hugs to ya'll!
Congrats Emily! That is so exciting you are having baby #2. I thik Caroline will be a great big sister and HUGE helper... Can't wait to hear if it is a boy or girl.... Congrats again
ohmigosh! i couldn't wait to comment and then i read your own comment. that is terribly cute! (both the "ponies" and the declaration from caroline)
i also wanted to say that what you said about your baby having less attention but more love of a big sister was so touching. i'd never heard that before.
baby (and caroline) are special kids w/ great parents.
miss you!
i will tell jovie about this. awesome!
Emily, you are so exactly correct. Although none of my children had as much one-on-one time/attention/holding from me as my first baby did, they are blessed with the special bond that siblings have. I have heard it said that so many people have only one child because they don't want to divide the attention their first gets and feel that would be unfair, but it's actually more unfair to the only child. Most likely, kids will have their siblings in their lives for far longer than their parents! I'm sure Caroline will be a terrific big sister :-)
Post a Comment