Sunday, February 22, 2009

Solid, well mushy food

Caroline started eating solid food a few weeks ago! We started with a mushed up banana, then progressed to rice cereal, avocado, sweet potato and acorn squash. Her latest tastes have been of oatmeal cereal as well as prunes. Recently she's been eating in the mornings and in the evenings. I guess we'll work up to three times a day soon and continue to expand her repitore. At first, she didn't quite know what to do with the stuff we were sticking in her mouth. She didn't seem unhappy with it, just more baffled by the whole concept.
One day last week, it's like it "clicked" for her. She must have realized that if she opens her mouth, the food actually makes it inside. Meals are much less messy already! It's so cute - like a little birdie.

Every once in a while, Caroline decides she needs to help Mommy or Daddy with the spoon. She's actually really good at getting it into her mouth, however she then gets distracted by the spoon and wants to chomp on that for a bit.

I've been making all of her food, which so far has been really easy and so good for her. There's a great website that has lots of useful information on how to do it and what nutritional value foods have. I like the fact that I know exactly what it being put into my baby and am positive that there are no extras (fillers, salt, sugar, preservatives) in it. I plan to continue to make her food as much as I can. I will confess I did not make the prunes - they were more of a rushed neccessity thing to, ah, see if we could, ah, help get things moving along... BUT I'm sure I can make prunes too!
This is a video from her first taste of bananas.

This one is from her first taste of rice cereal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny! I have tears! Can't wait to see her! And you!
Nona